Tuesday, September 9, 2008

oh what fun

So this morning Apple released yet more new iPod products: a blah iPod Nano that looks like a zune, brighter iPod shuffles, and a new uber-cool iPod Touch which is even thinner than its already very thin predecessor and comes with all the goodness of the apps store and even a built in Nike running sensor. My resolve not to buy the iPhone momentarily weakened and once again I was engulfed by all those alluring demons of desire. I think not even Plato would have withstood such temptations but I have since momentarily suppressed it with the demon of 'everyone who has an iphone 3G looks like they need one to look human'.

iTunes 8 also came out. Besides a layout which I think is improved, despite not having explored it much [note: everything Apple does is an improvement; everything Microsoft does is something they should have/could have did the first time round], the newest feature is the Genius feature. What the Genius does is you choose a song in your library, and the Genus creates a playlist of songs that are similar to the choosen song. Cool shit.

Apparently since I heard it on Prince Caspian, the song sung at the end [the calling by regina spektor] seems to have become popular. Geniusing that, better matches included 'Say it's possible' by Terra Naomi, 'When she loved me' by Sarah McLachlan and 'The Heart never lies' by McFly. Strangely, also included 'Hips don't lie' by Shakira, and really dubiously, 'We're going to ibiza'. Not cool.

I did Kit Chan's Home and I ended up with believable matches like 'To build a home', Kaira Gong's 'My Island Home' and very weirdly, my podcasts on homeostasis on the digestion & nutrition, circulation, respiration, the immune, and osmoregulation systems.

I tried Majulah Singapura [don't ask] next and I got interesting matches like the Darth Vader Imperial march, 'Beyond the wasteland' from Final Fantasy and very fittingly, 'The Plagues' from the Prince of Egypt. I like the new iTunes already.

No comments: