Monday, November 5, 2007

HK Oct 2007 Day 6: HK Wetlands Park

I had the day all to myself after I ditched my travel companions to Shenzhen. I took the chance to go back to the Wetlands Park, where I had previously attempted to go the day before but it was closed.

From HK October 20...


The park itself is basically a free-for-all viewing area built around a nature reserve, which is what you see no touch because pretty to look at, once broken it's a real shame but there's no need to pay. The nature reserve consists of a mangrove ecosystem.


There is the usual visitors' centre, with it's fair share of real and fakeko exhibits including a mudskipper up close!


And some species of swamp crab, where the male is differentiated by a larger right pincer.


The crabs in their somewhat more natural habitat.




There were huts built on the edges of the park to allow people to get closer to the wildlife in a more comfortable position. Oh gosh. I felt so out of my league. Look at all the lenses. HK must have one of the highest rates of dSLRs in the world.


But of course, I will not be outdone so easily.

Picture taken from the telescope provided in the visitors' centre.

I remember talking to a friend long ago about zoos and nature reserves. I used to feel that concepts such as zoos and nature reserves are pretty hypocritical. Firstly, it's implying therefore that the right to defile the land is totally ours and defiling the land is okay because we have nature reserves set aside. Secondly, it's kinda half-fucked to want to preserve something you purport to love, and still allow people to go in even if there is some sort of barrier.

If you really love something, sometimes the best is just to leave it alone. Well, obviously, I don't love it that much.

No comments: