Sunday, August 9, 2009

when in doubt, give hope

Quite possibly one of the reasons why I never made it as valedictorian is valedictorians have to give speeches, and no prizes for guessing what would be the content of my speech. It will honestly make this speech seem really tame and friendly even. Honestly honestly speaking, the kindest word I can force myself to muster for a PAP person is 4 letter-ed and starts with F.

When I lost my job at moral, and then subsequently at SGH, I admit that that was really a rough time for me. Why was I subjecting myself to pain and suffering in an industry so thoroughly defiled and befouled by NCSS, for a job that obviously is not going to pay me for what I'm worth. I did get another job eventually [and I'm still there] but everyday I have to ask myself what I am doing there when I feel I have been so thoroughly short-changed: I am receiving a pittance of a salary not because the organization cannot afford it, but because this is what they feel I am worth as a social worker because afterall, I have no FSC experience. Yet constantly, I'm being turned to for my knowledge of the social services, the contacts I have made, and my mass com expertise. I resolved to act like what I'm paid, a total newbie, but how can I possibly say no? Adding oil to fire, for some strange reason, inter-bank creditting of salary only works for POSB or DBS accounts so I had to open a disgusting account with DBS. And adding even more oil to fire, nowhere is the miasma of NCSS seen more but in a FSC. And I had to smile at those disgusting NCSS cretins.

And to top it all off, I have to get accredited with the Singapore Association of Social Workers [SASW]. I'd rather get inducted into the KKK first.



I would like to end this post with Hope though.

This is an excellent speech by a Ms Allison Anais Brunner. Excerpt:

"I believe that hope is intrinsic in the individuals, families, and communities we serve. But what do we do when people feel hopeless? I believe we do as my former therapist did for me when I wasn’t able: We hold the hope for them."




I hold the Hope that one day things will be better.

No comments: