Monday, May 19, 2008

god help the outcast



This song randomly came up on my iTunes and I started feeling things.

This song came from Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame. I remembered it's the last Disney cartoon feature song and dance which is kinda sad. It's interesting though: the irony is I never watched the movie when it came out then; in fact, I only watched the movie last year when I bought the DVD. I didn't really need to though; when the movie first came out, I bought the soundtrack. I listened to it so many times I could practically see the whole movie in my head.

As everyone who knows me knows, I think that religion is a tool of social control used by the few to control the many. I also think that under the name of religion, under the protection of most national constitutions, no other institution propagates more hatred and discrimination. In this fair country where I live, it seems that there is more possibility of a female PM than a female priest. Once upon a time, we hunted witches for sport; today we hunt homosexuals, albeit in a different way because gays have lots of money they can hide behind.

But for all my talk of science and empiricism, I really do believe there is a higher power. And on this fine Vesak Day, I pray that God help us outcasts.

No comments: